Tom Lane wrote:

And it's not even
clear to me that it fixes the problem: wouldn't you get two different
handles if you supplied the internal and external addresses of an
eventproc?

Both #1 and #4 suffer from this issue, internal & external register methods. They also require the same WARNING in the docs. But, #1 solves the instancedata lookup issue. I am not trying to make a case for #1 but it does appear to have a narrower failure window.

> libpq has to deal with generating the handles
Well lock; if(not_in_map) handle = ++counter; unlock surely won't be to difficult ;-)

> (threading issues here)
There is no unregister, so the idea won't lock/unlock in high traffic routines.

On the whole I vote for #4 out of these.

Okay.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC