Alvaro Herrera wrote:
But there are 5 callers of XLogWrite ... why aren't the other ones being
tracked too?

This probe originally came from Simon, so it can't possibly be wrong :-)

My understanding is that we only want to track the XLogWrite when advancing to the next buffer page, and if there is unwritten data in the new buffer page, that indicates no more empty WAL buffer pages available, but I may be wrong. I did some tests by adjusting wal_buffers, and I could observe this behavior, more calls to XLogWrite with smaller wal_buffers.

-Robert