On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

One issue here is that plain \d gets less useful because it'll now
include system catalogs.  We could add the additional rule that
the above statements apply only when a pattern is specified, and
without a pattern you get just user stuff (so omitting a pattern
corresponds to pattern "*" with the U modifier, not just "*").
This would probably make it a bit easier to have exactly the same
rules across the board.

Again, "\dfS" would be a bit useless, unless we say that the implicit
U modifier for no pattern doesn't override an explicit S modifier.

Comments?  Does this cover all the cases?

So would "\df" then be equivalent to "\dU"? Or am I misunderstanding something?

David