Dave Page wrote:
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
So, some feedback to make this decision more difficult:
Users: care about HS more than anything else in the world.
I don't think this is correct.  There are certainly a lot of users who
would like an in-core replication solution, but HS by itself is not that
--- you also need (near) real-time log shipping, which we have already
decided to punt to 8.5.  That being the case, I think the argument
that HS is a must-have feature for 8.4 is actually rather weak.

I don't buy that. Sure, sync-rep would be the icing on the cake, but
HS with a small archive_timeout (even of the order of 10 or 15
minutes) would have been extremely useful on a number of systems I
used to run.

+1

I have customers who want exactly this - a simple to administer, query-able slave that does DDL transparently and is up to date within a controllable time frame. Bluntly, it looks like a killer feature.

regards

Mark