Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I don't think it is our responsibility to remedy the deficiencies of libxml2, especially if it involves breaking the processing of valid xpath expressions on well formed XML.

If someone can come up with a correct scheme for handling fragments, I'm all ears, but otherwise I think a) we should rip this out of 8.4 and b) we should try to make 8.3 slightly less broken at least, along the lines of my earlier suggestion.

I'm okay with removing this for 8.4, but I think it's too late to
change the behavior of 8.3.

It's never too late to fix a bug. The current behaviour is just plain nonsense ... if your xpath expression is 'foo/bar' it ends up searching for '/xfoo/bar' which can't possibly be right. Surely we can at least fix that.

cheers

andrew