Tom Lane wrote:
Hmm, does this proposal require adding a test of well-formed-ness to
a code path that doesn't currently have one?  If so, is that likely
to contribute any noticeable slowdown?

I can't offhand see an objection to this other than possible performance
impact.

Yeah, testing the well-formedness might cost a bit. We could short-circuit the test by applying some comparatively fast heuristic tests.

Or we could decide that we'll just fix the xpath prefix part for 8.3 and keep the wrapping. I don't want to spend a huge effort on fixing something I regard as fundamentally broken.

I'll do some tests to see what the cost of extra xml parsing might be.

cheers

andrew

We