Robert,

I wonder whether it would be possible to make PL/pgsql take :foo to
mean the parameter named foo, and then provide an option to make that
THE ONLY WAY to refer to the parameter foo.  For
backward-compatibility, and compatibility with (ahem) other database
products, we probably don't want to remove the option to have foo
mean... any damn thing named foo you can put your hands on.  But it
would be nice to at least have the option of disabling that behavior
when compatibility is not an issue, and correctness is.

Thing is, anybody can institute their own naming convention. I've long used v_ as a prefix. Allowing : would save me some keystrokes, but that's about it.

--Josh