On 5/11/09 4:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Josh Berkus<j...@agliodbs.com>  writes:
I can see Zoltan's argument: for web applications, it's important to
keep the *total* wait time under 50 seconds for most users (default
browser timeout for most is 60 seconds).

And why is that only about lock wait time and not about total execution
time?  I still think statement_timeout covers the need, or at least is
close enough that it isn't justified to make lock_timeout act like that
(thus making it not serve the other class of requirement).

That was one of the reasons it's "completely and totally unworkable", as I mentioned, if you read the next sentence.

The only real answer to the response time issue is to measure total response time in the middleware.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.