Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
I don't think we're going to get this to work reliably without extending the interface between the backend and restore_command. We've discussed many methods and there's always some nasty corner-case like that.

I think we should leave back-branches as is, and go with Simon's suggestion to add new "recovery_end_command" that's run when the recovery is finished. That's simpler and more reliable than any of the other approaches we've discussed, and might become handy for other purposes as well.

Does someone want to take a stab at writing a patch for that?

Does this conclusion mean that changing pg_standby is no longer
on the table for 8.4?  It certainly smells more like a new feature
than a bug fix.

This whole thing can be considered to be a new feature. It's working as designed. But people seem to be surprised about the current behavior (me included), and we don't currently provide the behavior that most people actually want. I think we should fix it for 8.4.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas