On 06/02/2009 06:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
At the same time, I don't really buy the theory that relating commits on
different branches via merges will work.  In my experience it is very
seldom the case that a patch applies to each back branch with no manual
effort whatever, which is what I gather the merge functionality could
help with.  So maybe there's not much help to be had on this ...
You can do a merge and change the commit during that - this way you get the merge tracking information correct although you did a merge so that further merge operations can consider the specific change to be applied on both/some/all branches. This will happen by default if there is a merge conflict or can be forced by using the --no-commit option to merge.

Andres