--On 29. Juni 2009 08:32:29 +0900 KaiGai Kohei <kai...@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:

Yes, it intends to assign an identifier string not only numeric
large object identifier. The identifier string can be qualified
with a certain namespace as follows.

E.g)
 SELECT lo_open('my_picture01', x'40000'::int);
 SELECT lo_create('pg_temp.my_musid02');

In the later case, the new largeobject will be reclaimed after
the session closed due to the temporary namespace.

I'm not sure about the usefulness of this. While having an identifier for a LO is nice, i believe most users store additional metadata about objects within their own tables anyways, linking the LO there. Also i doubt there is much need for temporary large objects (at least, i have no idea about this....).

It might be interesting to dig into your proposal deeper in conjunction with TOAST (you've already mentioned this TODO). Having serial access with a nice interface into TOAST would be eliminating the need for pg_largeobject completely (i'm not a big fan of this one-big-system-table approach the old LO interface currently is).

--
Thanks

        Bernd