Tom Lane wrote:
"Joshua D. Drake" <j...@commandprompt.com> writes:
It comes down to somebody having the willingness to say "no" and the
authority to make it stick.  Robert mentioned upthread that the
committers don't want to be seen as throwing their weight around,

Is that the purpose of core? To make exactly those decisions?

Core has never seen itself as intended to make feature-by-feature
decisions.  People seem to be willing to defer to us on release
schedule-setting, but it's not clear to me that the community has
delegated us more authority than that.

You have correctly identified the requirement in the sentence quoted above. I for one am quite prepared to support core or some person designated by core having such authority. I agree with you that without something like that not much will improve.

cheers

andrew