On Jul 10, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

All,

I'd suggest that we publish an official policy, with the following dates for "EOL":

7.4   2009-08-01
8.0   2010-02-01
8.1   2011-01-01
8.2   2012-01-01
8.3   2013-03-01
8.4   2014-08-01

EOL would be defined as:

"After the above dates, the PostgreSQL Project will not promise to provide any minor (patch or update) releases of the respective versions, whether for security, data loss, or any other issue. Individual companies might choose to continue backporting patches to earlier versions, and if they contribute these update releases we will make them available. However, after the final minor release date, there is no guarantee that updates will be available and users should upgrade."

+1

It's useful to have the version number and date of the most recent release too, but this is the important stuff.

Best,

David