Le 15 juil. 09 à 23:03, Heikki Linnakangas a écrit :
2. The primary should have no business reading back from the archive.
The standby can read from the archive, as it can today.

Sorry to insist, but I'm not sold on your consensus here, yet:
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-07/msg00486.php

There's a true need for the solution to be simple to install, and providing a side channel for the standby to go read the archives itself isn't it. Furthermore, the counter-argument against having the primary able to send data from the archives to some standby is that it should still work when primary's dead, but as this is only done in the setup phase, I don't see that being able to continue preparing a not- yet-ready standby against a dead primary is buying us anything.

Now, I tried proposing to implement an archive server as a postmaster child to have a reference implementation of an archive command for "basic" cases, and provide the ability to give data from the archive to slave(s). But this is getting too much into the implementation details for my current understanding of them :)

Regards,
--
dim