Josh Berkus wrote:
Andrew,

AFAICT on a brief look at the patch, it doesn't affect the quoting of
nulls on export, it just allows * as an alias for all columns for FORCE
QUOTE (as well as FORCE NOT NULL). But FORCE QUOTE has never forced
quoting of null values, only non-null values. We have never quoted null
values, and I'm fairly resistant to any suggestion that we should.

See? That's what happens when I can't build the docs. ;-) (and there's no previous discussion of the feature).

As for importing data from programs that produce all values in quotes
including null/missing values (your pro case above), arguably what we
need is another flag that would turn an empty string into a null.

ooooh, TODO, please? There's a lot of this out there, and I've had to build sed into a lot of import routines.

+1 For that on the TODO, happens all the time...