"Joshua D. Drake" <j...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 12:50 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> (3)  Allow override of the thresholds for individual columns.

> I would skip 1 and 2 and have (3).

Sure, pick the one which requires new syntax!  ;-)

How about two new ALTER TABLE actions:

   ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET COMPRESSION_THRESHOLD integer
   ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET EXTERNAL_THRESHOLD integer

Or can you suggest something better?

Laurent, would something like this address your needs?  I was assuming
that if the point is to reduce I/O, you were interested in doing more
compression, not in storing more values out-of-line (in the separate
TOAST table)?  Would it be manageable to tune this on a column-by-
column basis?

-Kevin