Bernd Helmle wrote:
--On Dienstag, Juli 21, 2009 16:49:45 -0400 Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:

You just tested COPY, not pg_dump, right? Some pg_dump numbers would be
interesting, both for text and custom formats.

Plain COPY, yes. I planned testing pg_dump for this round of my review but ran out of time unfortunately.

The restore might be limited by xlog (didn't realize that the profile shows XLogInsert in the top four). I'll try to get some additional numbers soon, but this won't happen before thursday.

If the table is created by the restore job, either use parallel pg_restore (-j nn) or use the --single-transaction flag - both will ensure that the WAL log is avoided.

For plain COPY, get the same effect using:

   begin;
   truncat foo;
   copy foo ... ;
   commit;

All this assumes that archive_mode is off.

cheers

andrew