 >> I'm prepared to give slightly more consideration to option #3:
 >> make the new code read the old format as well as the new one. I
 >> believe (though I have not yet tested) that it is possible to
 >> reliably distinguish the two with relatively low overhead, though
 >> the overhead would be nonzero, and do an in-core format conversion
 >> (which would result in writing out the new format if anything
 >> changed).

 Jeff> It might be good to have a way to ensure that all values have
 Jeff> been upgraded to the new format. Otherwise you have to
 Jeff> permanently maintain the old format even across multiple
 Jeff> upgrades. Maybe that's not a big deal, but I thought I'd bring
 Jeff> it up.

Running  ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar TYPE hstore USING bar || '';
on all of your hstore columns would suffice to ensure that, I believe.
(Subject to testing once I actually have code for it, of course.)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)