 >> The other option would be to fix the wasted-space bug in the
 >> existing hstore, and document that stored data must be updated at
 >> least once subsequent to that fix before doing a binary migrate to
 >> 8.5.

 [...]

 David> Could it be that only folks with such a manifestation of the
 David> bug would need to do a binary upgrade? If so, I certainly
 David> think it'd be worth it to fix the bug.

Let's go through the options.

A)
     - don't fix the wasted-space bug (or don't rely on it, anyway)
     - change the new format to be more distinguishable
  Result:
     - seamless binary upgrade for contrib/hstore users
     - users of unreleased CVS hstore-new will have to ensure all
       values are updated after installing a release version and
       before doing a binary upgrade to 8.5

B)
     - fix the wasted-space bug
     - leave the new format as-is
  Result:
     - seamless binary upgrade for hstore-new users
     - contrib/ users will have to remove wasted space from at least
       any hstore with a zero-length key before doing a binary upgrade

To me (A) is looking like the obvious choice (the people smart enough
to be using hstore-new from CVS already can handle the minor pain of
updating the on-disk format).

Unless I hear any objections I will proceed accordingly...

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)