LOG:  duration: 0.008 ms  plan:
   <Plan>
     <Node-Type>Result</Node-Type>
     <Startup-Cost>0.00</Startup-Cost>
     <Total-Cost>0.01</Total-Cost>
     <Plan-Rows>1</Plan-Rows>
     <Plan-Width>0</Plan-Width>
   </Plan>

I think what this says is that auto-explain should not be sending its
output to the regular logfile, but somewhere else.  The format you show
above is not the most usable thing in the world -- not for machine
parsing, and neither for human consumption.

Maybe it should fill its own file with something like this:

<autoexplain>
  <query>select 1 as one;</query>
  <duration>0.008</duration>
  <Plan>
    <Node-Type>Result</Node-Type>
    <Startup-Cost>0.00</Startup-Cost>
    <Total-Cost>0.01</Total-Cost>
    <Plan-Rows>1</Plan-Rows>
    <Plan-Width>0</Plan-Width>
  </Plan>
</autoexplain>
or some such.

With a format like this, pulling them out of the log file would be trivial, so I don't see why it couldn't go in the log file.

It needs a bit of tweaking, but the idea is right.

And to answer Robert's question - yes, I will be submitting a patch or two in due course.

cheers

andrew