Kevin Grittner wrote:
Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
In general I'd not recommend that an init script go messing with the
contents of the postmaster.pid file, which it would have to do to
have any of this logic in the script.
But LSB specifically provides the pidofproc function to extract the
pid info.
I think Tom meant that you don't want to modify the contents of that file (or its timestamp). Reading from the file (and using the data there) is a whole different story, and is - in part - why the file exists in the first place.
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptfunc.html This brings me back round to what I was looking at recently -- the
possibility of trying to make an LSB-conforming init script for
PostgreSQL.  I'm having a lot of trouble, though, trying to get either
the postmaster or pg_ctl to behave well with the start_daemon function
implementations available to me.  Is there a fundamental mismatch
there, or am I probably just missing some crucial detail?  (The
killproc function seems to work just fine, however, as long as I use
the -p switch and give it the right signal.)
And there's the usual question: is there interest in such a script?
The script is undoubtedly useful, if nothing more than to provide a template for Linux distros. However, I think by itself it is used quite broadly by admins that choose to install from source rather than using a pre-packaged distribution.

Some time ago I started work on a HeartBeat/OpenAIS resource management script for PostgreSQL to integrate it more closely with HeartbeatV2 (to support resource monitoring on a standby, auto-setup of standby node, etc.) but haven't worked on it since hitting a couple walls that are somewhat related to this issue. Having a better (and foolproof) start/stop LSB script would definitely help that project when I get back to it..

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.