Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:

Everytime I try a new Drupal module under PostgreSQL, I run into tiny
SQL problems ranging from error to performance drop. The most
problematic problem is http://drupal.org/node/559986

I strongly suspect this post badly mis-diagnoses the problem.

IMHO for what I know from the porting work (I worked heavily on PHPBB3
and now Drupal), the first goal is to achieve compatibility with issues
mentioned there: http://drupal.org/node/555514 and add mysql compat
functions in PostgreSQL core without breaking existing code.

That might be your goal, but it's not the community's goal, I believe. There are already external projects for compatibility libraries. You are never going to achieve 100% compatibility.

To win over MySQL, the best is to work on materialized views. There are
very good articles available from hackers. Why not port to C.
Materialized which which update when the data is needed would be
perfect.

IIRC some work was being done on materialised views.

Web apps are 95% of PostgreSQL possible users.

Most applications these days have a web front end. But that doesn't mean the database needs to be terribly aware of them. To the database, a web server is just another client.

cheers

andrew