On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:07 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

One reason I don't like this proposal is that postgresql does not
preserve the original 'create view' statement for editing.  The
resulting sql that is given to you to edit is hopelessly mangled and I
think it's not good to encourage people to modify views in this
fashion.

Then again, we are only reproducing what pgadmin can already do, so why not? :-)

Is there any reason that the CREATE VIEW output to pg_dump and, presumably, \ev, couldn't be refactored to pretty-print the VIEW declaration?

Best,

David