Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
It might be worth pointing out that what I don't want pg_dump doing
is suppressing "useless" parentheses.  Adding whitespace ought to be
safe enough.  So if anyone wanted to do the work of decoupling those
two effects of the prettyprint option, we could have "semi pretty
printed" output in pg_dump.  Dunno if it's worth it.

The attached patch goes part of the way towards doing this, by adding white space unconditionally to the target list of a viewdef.
I'd rather do that than add another pg_get_viewdef variant or option.
That's not what I had in mind by "decoupling" the option's effects.

Well, regardless of that it does what I want, and with a fairly small amount of code.

I can make it work only in the pretty print case, if that's your objection.

Like you I doubt that fully decoupling pretty printing parentheses and whitespace is going to be worth the trouble.

cheers

andrew