Tom Lane wrote:
What you're talking about is a
fairly specialized single-purpose feature, which nonetheless is going to
require a lot of infrastructure (for example, teaching psql's \copy
about it).

Well, that's hardly a lot.

 Perhaps, for approximately the same amount of overhead,
we could provide something more general.

Ok.

I don't agree with the idea of injecting something "behind" copy though.
The thought that comes to mind for me is something "in front of" copy,
that is, give it the text of each line and let it do a text-to-text
transformation before COPY chews on it.

you mean some sort of filter mechanism?

COPY .... FILTER function_name ( args) ... ?

That might work. Then we could provide a couple builtin and people could write others in C or PL/dujour.

cheers

andrew