Dave Page wrote:
My questions to the group are:

- Is my approach reasonable?
- What interface should I include in libpq?

On the second question, obviously the user can call SET to set a
value, as I've done for now in psql, however in other DBMSs, it may be
set in the connection string. My feeling would be to do that, and
possibly add PQsetApplicationName(PGconn *conn, char *name) and char
*PQapplicationName(PGconn *conn);. What do others think?

Doing it with a GUC will not be nearly so useful as having it in the wire protocol, IMNSHO. Just one example: it wouldn't be present in connection records, because it wouldn't be set yet.

cheers

andrew