Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:

OK, I think the consensus here is:
- Eat BOM at beginning of file (as you implemented)
- Only when client encoding is UTF-8 --> please fix that

Are they AND condition? If so, this patch will be useless.
Please remember \encoding or SET client_encoding appear
*after* BOM at beginning of file. I'll agree if the condition is "Eat BOM at beginning of file and <<set client encoding to UTF-8>>",
like:
Defining Python Source Code Encodings:
    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/

As previously discussed we should not be automagically setting the client encoding, nor inferring it from the presence of a BOM.

As for when it can be set, unless I'm mistaken you should be able to set it before any file is opened, if you need to, using PGOPTIONS or psql "dbname=mydb options='-c client_encoding=utf8'". Of course, if the server encoding is utf8 then, in the absence of it being set using those methods, the client encoding will start as utf8 also.

cheers

andrew