Jaime Casanova <jcasa...@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

> > * If a table with the same name already exists when a partition
> >   is created, the table is re-used as partition. This behavior
> >   is required for pg_dump to be simple.
>
> i guess the table must be empty, if not we should be throw an error...
> and i actually prefer some more explicit syntax for this not just
> reusing a table

Yeah, an explicit syntax is better.
I've researched other syntax, but I cannot find any good ones.

 * ALTER TABLE child INHERIT parent AS PARTITION
    => implemenation "PARTITION is an INHERIT" is revealed to user.
 * ALTER PARTITION child ATTACH TO parent
    => child is not a partition yet at that point.
 * ALTER TABLE parent ADD PARTITION child
    => "partition" need to be a full-reserved word.

Are there better idea?

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro