2009/12/15 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> to...@tuxteam.de writes:
>
>> (and as Andrew Dunstan pointed out off-list: I was wrong with my bold
>> assertion that one can squeeze infinitely many (arbitrary length)
>> strings between two given. This is not always the case).
>
> Really?  If the string length is unbounded I think you were right.

Assuming lexicographical ordering (first different character
determines order; end-of-string is sorted before anything else),
consider the following two strings:

<whatever>

and

<same whatever as before> + the character with the lowest value in
lexicographical ordering.

I don't think it is possible to get anything in between those two strings.

Nicolas