Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
You're correct that we don't necessarily need a new type, we could just make it text and have a bunch of operations, but that seems to violate the principle of data type abstraction a bit.

I think the relevant precedent is that we have an xml type.  While I
surely don't want to follow the SQL committee's precedent of inventing
a ton of special syntax for xml support, it might be useful to look at
that for suggestions of what functionality would be useful for a json
type.

[ I can already hear somebody insisting on a yaml type :-( ]

Now that's a case where I think a couple of converter functions at most should meet the need.

cheers

andrew