On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM, David E. Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> I thought Magnus had a really good point: covering these four cases will
>> probably be enough to teach newbies to look at psql's backslash
>> commands.  And once they absorb that, we're over a big hump.
>
> +1
>
> On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>
>> I disagree. If they want to use PostgreSQL, they should learn our
>> syntax. How can you make sure that this will be enough for them? What if
>> they want more?
>
> Why would they want more? It's not MySQL, and they know that. If we give them
> some very minor helpful hints for the most common things they try to do, it
> would be a huge benefit to them. I know I've badly wanted the opposite when
> I've had to use MySQL, but I don't expect MySQL to implement \c for me.
>
>> What if some other people will come up with the idea of adding similar
>> functionality for their favorite database? The only exception will be
>> Informix IMHO, because of historical reasons.
>
> I think it'd be helpful for other databases, too. Oracle comes to mind: What
> commands are finger-trained in Oracle DBAs?
>
> Best,
>
> David

As a MySQL DBA the commands I think are most useful are:
show databases (please punt this, most MySQL dba's that I have worked
with will need to consider the difference between a db and a schema)
use database (please punt)
LOAD DATA INFILE(please punt, they should look at the manual as COPY
is... well, more limited)
show tables
desc(ribe) table
show processlist

I suggest adding:
+                       else if (MYSQL_HELP_CHECK("show processlist"))
+                       {
+                               MYSQL_HELP_OUTPUT("SELECT * from
pg_stat_activity");
+                       else if (MYSQL_HELP_CHECK("desc"))
+                               MYSQL_HELP_OUTPUT("\\d tablename");

--
Rob Wultsch
wult...@gmail.com