Tom Lane wrote:
"David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com> writes:
On Jan 22, 2010, at 4:54 PM, Mark Mielke wrote:
MS SQL, MySQL, SQLite - do they have advocacy problems due to the SQL in their
name? I think it is the opposite. SQL in the name almost grants legitimacy to
them as products. Dropping the SQL has the potential to increase confusion.
What is a Postgres? :-)

Something that comes after black, but before white.

Yeah.  As best I can tell, most newbies think that PostgreSQL means
Postgre-SQL --- they're not too sure what "Postgre" is, but they guess
it must be the specific name of the product.  And that annoys those of
us who would rather they pronounced it "Postgres".  But in terms of
recognizability of the product it's not a liability.  The business about
pronunciation is a red herring.  It's just as unclear whether MySQL is

My personal experience has shown that people not familiar with the project can't remember it's name (even 10 minutes after I said it). It doesn't really roll off your tongue, unless you count tree nodes in your sleep. This "may" have an affect on the project's reach.

I am not really advocating a name change, but if a different name makes postgresql more popular, however silly that may seem, then I am all for it. This is a difficult marketing decision.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC