Robert Haas wrote:
There has been some more discussion lately of problems caused by contrib/xml2.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-01/msg00251.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-01/msg00198.php

I think we need to either (1) fix the bugs and update the
documentation to remove the statement that this will be removed or (2)
actually remove it.  Nobody seems interested in #1, so PFA a patch to
do #2.  It also rips out all the libxslt stuff, which seems to exist
only for the purpose of supporting contrib/xml2.

The problem is that there are people who use the XSLT and xpath_table stuff on text data and so don't run into these bugs.

I agree it's a mess but I don't think just abandoning the functionality is a good idea.

cheers

andrew