Robert Haas wrote:
I also think that you're underestimating the number of problems that
will have to be solved to get this done.  It's going to take some
significant work - both design work and coding work - to figure out
how this should integrate into the rest of the system.  (What should
be the value of pg_class.relkind?  Where should the node
representation of the snapshot query be stored?  And did we handle all
of those OID dependencies correctly?)

I don't think I'm underestimating all that, but I suspect Pavel is by a considerable amount. This is why I've been suggesting that a GSoC scope here might just be wrestling with this area of the problem for the whole summer--not even getting into updates beyond a completely trivial implementation, if any at all. Things like "handle OID dependencies" are definitely not on the fun side of the development work that people tend to think about in advance.

Where I can see this possibly falling down (other than being just too
much work for a relative PostgreSQL novice to get it done in one
summer) is if there are concerns about it being incompatible with
incrementally-updated views.  I imagine that we're going to want to
eventually support both, so we need to make sure that this
implementation doesn't box us into a corner.

Exactly my concern; comitting this part without knowing how that's later going to fit into place strikes me the sort of the thing this project doesn't like to do. The alternate approach of starting with the update machinery is less likely IMHO to get stuck wondering if there's a future blind spot coming or not, since you'd be building from the bottom up starting with the hardest parts.

From the rest of your comments, I'm comfortable that you're in sync with the not necessarily obvious risky spots here I wanted to raise awareness of. It's unreasonable to expect we'll have exactly the same priorities here, and I doubt it's useful to debate how I perceive the merit of various development subsets here compared to yourself. I don't think it's really important whether anyone agrees with me or not about exactly the value of a full table lock implementation. The main thing I'm concerned about is just that it's noted as a known risky part, one that could end up blocking the project's ability to commit even a subset of the proposed patch here.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us