Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
Peter Eisentraut<pete...@gmx.net>  writes:
How about
select myfunc(a := 7, b := 6);

If we go with that, should we make some preparations to allow => in the future? Like provide an alternative operator name for hstore's =>, and add a note somewhere in the docs to discourage other modules from using =>.

I'd vote no.  We're intentionally choosing to deviate from a very poor
choice of notation.  Maybe Peter can interest the committee in allowing
:= as an alternate notation, instead.

What's poor about it? It probably comes from PLSQL which in turn got it from Ada, so they aren't just making this up. I agree it's inconvenient for us, but that's a different issue.

cheers

andrew