On 09/06/10 10:21, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 18:30 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

I prefer archive_cleanup_command. We should name things after their
principal function, not an implementation detail, IMNSHO.

More importantly, we should include an example in the docs. I created
one the other day  when this was actually bothering me a bit (see
<http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/85-Keeping-a-hot-standby-log-archive-clean.html>).
That seemed to work ok, but maybe it's too long, and maybe people would
prefer a shell script to perl.

I submitted a patch to make the command "pg_standby -a %r"

That's a more portable solution, ISTM.

I'll commit that and fix the docs.

Huh, wait. There's no -a option in pg_standby, so I presume you're planning to add that too. I don't like confusing pg_standby into this, the docs are currently quite clear that if you want to use the built-in standby mode, you can't use pg_standby, and this would muddy the waters.

Maybe we could add a new pg_cleanuparchive binary, but we'll need some discussion...

--
  Heikki Linnakangas