Florian Pflug wrote:
glibc defines O_DSYNC as an alias for O_SYNC and warrants that with
"Most Linux filesystems don't actually implement the POSIX O_SYNC semantics, which
require all metadata updates of a write to be on disk on returning to userspace, but only
the O_DSYNC semantics, which require only actual file data and metadata necessary to
retrieve it to be on disk by the time the system call returns."

If that is true, I believe we should default to open_sync, not fdatasync if
open_datasync isn't available, at least on linux.

It's not true, because Linux O_SYNC semantics are basically that it's never worked reliably on ext3. See http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg01310.php for example of how terrible the situation would be if O_SYNC were the default on Linux.

We just got a report that a better O_DSYNC is now properly exposed starting on kernel 2.6.33+glibc 2.12: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/201006041539.03868.cousinm...@gmail.com and it's possible they may have finally fixed it so it work like it's supposed to. PostgreSQL versions compiled against the right prerequisites will default to O_DSYNC by themselves. Whether or not this is a good thing has yet to be determined. The last thing we'd want to do at this point is make the old and usually broken O_SYNC behavior suddenly preferred, when the new and possibly fixed O_DSYNC one will be automatically selected when available without any code changes on the database side.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us