On 06/19/2010 09:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  writes:
Right now, if the SR master reboots unexpectedly (say, power plug pull
and restart), the slave never notices.  It just sits there forever
waiting for the next byte of data from the master to arrive (which it
never will).

This is nonsense --- the slave's kernel *will* eventually notice that
the TCP connection is dead, and tell walreceiver so.  I don't doubt
that the standard TCP timeout is longer than people want to wait for
that, but claiming that it will never happen is simply wrong.

I think that enabling slave-side TCP keepalives and control of the
keepalive timeout parameters is probably sufficient for 9.0 here.

yeah I would agree - we do have tcp keepalive code in the backend for a while now and adding that to libpq as well just seems like an easy enough fix at this time in the release cycle.

Stefan