Tom Lane wrote:
A somewhat more plausible scenario is that somebody might hope that
they could do something like this:

        echo 'some custom header' >pg.dump
        pg_dump -Fc >>pg.dump

I believe that (at least on most Unixen) doing fseeko(fp, 0, SEEK_SET)
would result in overwriting the custom header, where it would not have
been overwritten before.  However the usefulness of the above is at
best far-fetched; and I'm not very sure that it works today anyway,
since pg_dump/pg_restore seem to assume that manual byte counting should
match the results of ftell().

What would anyone hope to achieve by such a manoeuvre, even if it worked, which I am close the dead sure it would not?

cheers

andrew