On 11/10/2010 06:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
"David E. Wheeler"<da...@kineticode.com>  writes:
On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
We already use some contrib stuff in the regression tests. (It really is time
we stopped calling it contrib.)
Call them "core extensions". Works well considering Dimitri's work, which explicitly makes them
extensions. So maybe change the directory name to "extensions" or "ext"?
We've been calling it "contrib" for a dozen years, so that name is
pretty well baked in by now.  IMO renaming it is pointless and will
accomplish little beyond creating confusion and making back-patches
harder.

The current name causes constant confusion. It's a significant misnomer, and leads people to distrust the code. There might be reasons not to change, but you should at least recognize why the suggestion is being made.

  (And no, don't you dare breathe a word about git making that
all automagically better.  I have enough back-patching experience with
git by now to be unimpressed; in fact, I notice that its rename-tracking
feature falls over entirely when trying to back-patch further than 8.3.
Apparently there's some hardwired limit on the number of files it can
cope with.)

That's very sad. Did you file a bug?

cheers

andrew