"David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> We already use some contrib stuff in the regression tests. (It really is
>> time we stopped calling it contrib.)

> Call them "core extensions". Works well considering Dimitri's work, which
> explicitly makes them extensions. So maybe change the directory name to
> "extensions" or "ext"?

We've been calling it "contrib" for a dozen years, so that name is
pretty well baked in by now.  IMO renaming it is pointless and will
accomplish little beyond creating confusion and making back-patches
harder.  (And no, don't you dare breathe a word about git making that
all automagically better.  I have enough back-patching experience with
git by now to be unimpressed; in fact, I notice that its rename-tracking
feature falls over entirely when trying to back-patch further than 8.3.
Apparently there's some hardwired limit on the number of files it can
cope with.)