On Feb 3, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> I think you can pretty much take it to the bank that there will be
> demand.  This is an important, real-world problem.
>
> That having been said, I'm not 100% convinced that the main extensions
> patch is ready for prime-time, and I'm even less convinced that the
> upgrade patch is anywhere the point where we want to commit to it
> long-term.  So I would have no qualms about punting it out to 9.2.

I think that the core extension stuff and pg_dump stuff is pretty close. It's
the upgrade stuff that's thorny. And really, this is a pretty well-known
problem. Surely someone has done some research to solve it?

Anyway, IMHO, try to get CREATE EXTENSION into 9.1, perhaps put off ALTER
EXTENSION UPGRADE to 9.2.

Best,

David