Cédric Villemain wrote:
Is it worth a new thread with the different IO improvements done so
far or on-going and how we may add new GUC(if required !!!) with
intelligence between those patches ? ( For instance, hint bit IO limit
needs probably a tunable to define something similar to
hint_write_completion_target and/or IO_throttling strategy, ...items
which are still in gestation...)

Maybe, but I wouldn't bring all that up right now. Trying to wrap up the CommitFest, too distracting, etc.

As a larger statement on this topic, I'm never very excited about redesigning here starting from any point other than "saw a bottleneck doing <x> on a production system". There's a long list of such things already around waiting to be addressed, and I've never seen any good evidence of work related to hint bits being on it. Please correct me if you know of some--I suspect you do from the way you're brining this up. If we were to consider kicking off some larger work here, I would drive that by asking where the data supporting that work being necessary is at first. It's hard enough to fix a bottleneck that's staring right at you, trying to address one that's just theorized is impossible.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD