* Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 04/07/2011 03:48 AM, Alastair Turner wrote:

Is the solution possibly to assign positive entries on the basis of
the superuser being a member of all groups but require negative
entries to explicitly specify that they apply to superuser?

I think that's just about guaranteed to produce massive confusion. +foo
should mean one thing, regardless of the rule type. I seriously doubt
that very many people who work with this daily would agree with Tom's
argument about what that should be.

What about adding a second group syntax that only evaluates explicit memberships? That way, everyone could pick which behavior they liked better, and Alastair's suggestion could be done that way, too:

        host    all     *personae_non_gratae    0.0.0.0/0       reject
        host    all     +foo                    0.0.0.0/0       md5

If, as Josh said, few users even know about the old syntax, there should not be much potential for confusion in adding a new one.

Additionally, most things that can be done with groups in pg_hba.conf can also be done using CONNECT privilege on databases.

--
Christian