On Apr 20, 2011, at 8:25 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Okay. What about building something into PGXS that could handle these kinds
> of things? I just can't help but wonder if there isn't some better way to do
> the kinds of things that Daniele and I have resorted to to use a PostgreSQL
> version in a conditional in the Makefile. I know *this* much about make, and
> so am pretty sure that there must be a better way to do it than the way I am.

Okay, thanks to the feedback from Daniele, and based on your advice, Tom, to
maintain explicit migration scripts (at least for now, might use Daniele's
script later), I've got the Makefile down to just 25 lines, and other than
setting the name of the extension on the first line, it should just work for
any other extension I care to distribute using the same file layout.

  https://github.com/theory/pg-semver/blob/master/Makefile

Thanks again for the feedback. Will be polishing this stuff for my PGCon talk
on packaging extensions for PGXN.

Best,

David