On 05/06/2011 04:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
FWIW, I did move pg_config from -devel to the "main" (really client)
postgresql package in Fedora, as of 9.0.  That will ensure it's present
in either client or server installations.  Eventually that packaging
will reach RHEL ...

We should make sure that the PGDG packages adopt that for 9.1 then, so it starts catching on more. Unless Devrim changed to catch up since I last installed an RPM set, in that 9.0 it's still in the same place:

$ rpm -qf /usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_config
postgresql90-devel-9.0.2-2PGDG.rhel5

While Peter's question about whether it's really all that useful is reasonable, I'd at least like to get a better error message when you don't have everything needed to compile extensions. I think the shortest path to that is making pg_config more likely to be installed, then to check whether the file "pg_config --pgxs" references exists. I'll see if I can turn that idea into an actual change to propose.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD