I generally agree, Josh, but I think readline is getting pointed at a bit
too much.  Yeah, it's a bad one, but we also include other stuff like zlib
that doesn't commonly come up as an issue.

I'd argue something just a wee bit different...

By the time we would add in:

- autoconf rules to detect it,
- makefile rules to link it in
- include file changes
- wrappers to ensure use of pmalloc
- Debian guys add build dependancies
-  rpm dependencies get added
- BSD ports dependencies

That is likely rather more code than 1 not terribly large file of C needed
to do it ourselves.  And this code is rather worse, as it is in a bunch of
languages, spread all over.

If we were gaining a lot of extra functionality "for free" it would be one
thing.  That is true for libssl, and likely zlib, but not here.