On 11-08-15 12:33 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On 15 August 2011 16:56, Steve Singer<ssin...@ca.afilias.info>  wrote:
This would mean that anyone using the floating point timestamps today won't
be able to use pg_upgrade to upgrade to whichever version we remove them
from.  8.3 had float based timestamps as the default and I suspect many
installations with the default 8.3 settings have been upgraded via
pg_upgrade to 9.0 built the old timestamps representation.

Really? I find that slightly surprising, considering that a quick look
at master's timestamp.c suggests that the choice to use the in64
representation over the double representation is entirely a case of
compile time either/or. There is no apparent fall-back to the double
representation available to binaries built without
--disable-integer-datetimes.

I *think* the default on 8.3 was float based timestamps. If you want to upgrade a system running 8.3 (that uses float based timestamps) in using pg_upgrade you must compile 9.0 (or 8.4 or 9.1) with --disable-integer-datetimes. If at some point in the future you then want to upgrade to 9.2 with pg_upgrade you will again need to build 9.2 with --disable-integer-datetimes. If we remove the code for floating point representations of datetime then you won't be able to do that.

Steve