On 12 September 2011 05:21, David E. Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com> wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> Later this week I'm giving a [brief][] for an audience of what I hope will be
> corporate PostgreSQL users that covers how to get a feature developed for
> PostgreSQL. The idea here is that there are a lot of organizations out there
> with very deep commitments to PostgreSQL, who really take advantage of what
> it has to offer, but also would love additional features PostgreSQL doesn't
> offer. Perhaps some of them would be willing to fund development of the
> featured they need.
>
> [brief]: http://postgresopen.org/2011/schedule/presentations/83/
>
> Toward the end of the presentation, I'd like to make some suggestions and
> offer to do some match-making. I'm thinking primarily of listing some of the
> stuff the community would love to see done, along with the names of the folks
> and/or companies who, with funding, might make it happen. My question for you
> is: What do you want to work on?
>
> Here's my preliminary list:
>
> * Integrated partitioning support: Simon/2nd Quadrant
> * High-CPU concurrency: Robert/Enterprise DB
> * Multimaster replication and clustering: Simon/2nd Quadrant
> * Multi-table indexes: Heiki? Oleg & Teodor?
> * Column-leve collation support: Peter/Enterprise DB
> * Faster and more fault tolerant data loading: Andrew/PGX
> * Automated postgresql.conf Configuration: Greg/2nd Quadrant
> * Parallel pg_dump: Andrew/PGX
> * SET GLOBAL-style configuration in SQL: Greg/2nd Quadant
> * Track table and index caching to improve optimizer decisions:
> Robert/Enterprise DB
>
> Thanks to Greg Smith for adding a few bonus ideas I hadn't thought of. What
> else have you got? I don't think we necessarily have to limit ourselves to
> core features, BTW: projects like PostGIS and pgAdmin are also clearly
> popular, and new projects of that scope (or improvements to those!) would no
> doubt be welcome. Also, I'm highlighting PGXN and an example of how this sort
> of thing might work.
>
> So, what do you want to work on? Let me know, I'll do as much match-making at
> the conference as I can.

I have a wish-list of features, but I don't know of anyone specific
who could work on them.  In addition to some you've mentioned they
are:

* Distributed queries
* Multi-threaded query operations (single queries making use of more
than 1 core in effect)
* Stored procedures
* Automatic failover re-subscription (okay, I don't know what you'd
call this, but where you have several standbys, the primary fails, one
standby is automatically promoted, and the remaining standbys
automatically subscribe to the newly-promoted one without needing a
new base backup)
* ROLLUP and CUBE
* pg_dumpall custom format (Guillaume mentioned this was on his to-do
list previously)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion