On 09/13/2011 10:13 AM, Michael Nolan wrote:
The lists all seem to be focusing on the things that the developers
would like to add to PostgreSQL, what about some things that users or
ISPs might like to have, and thus perhaps something that companies might
actually see as worth funding?

Well just my own two cents ... but it all depends on who is doing the funding. At this point 80% of the work CMD codes for Pg (or tertiary projects and modules) is funded by companies. So let's not assume that companies aren't funding things. They are.

For example:

A fully integrated ability to query across multiple databases,possibly
on multiple servers, something Oracle has had for nearly two decades.

That isn't the approach to take. The fact that Oracle has it is not a guarantee that it is useful or good. If you need to query across databases (assuming within the same cluster) then you designed your database wrong and should have used our SCHEMA support (what Oracle calls Namespaces) instead.

Complete isolation at the user level, allowing an ISP to support
multiple independent customers on a server without having to fiddle with
multiple back ends each running on a separate port, a feature that MySQL
has had for as far back as I can recall, and one of the reasons ISPs are
more likely to offer MySQL than PostgreSQL.

Now this would definitely be nice. It is frustrating that we don't have per database users.

The ability to restore a table from a backup file to a different table
name in the same database and schema.

This can be done but agreed it is not intuitive.

A built-in report writer, capable of things like column totals.
(SqlPlus has this, even though it isn't very pretty.)

There are a billion and one tools that do this without us having to reinvent the wheel. Why would we support that?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579